Newbie Q: cannot mount floppydrive or CDROM

Hi everybody,

after installing Linux on my SE/30 it appears to be impossible to mount
the floppydrive and the external SCSI CDROM drive.

When trying to mount (with the command 'mount /dev/fd0 /floppy' or 'mount
/dev/scd0 /cdrom' I get this message:

mount: the kernel does not recognize  /dev/**** as a block device (maybe
'insmod driver'?)

I probably have to insert a kernelmodule but which ones and how?

What went wrong during the installation procedure and how can I fix this
problem?

I don't know much about Linux yet, but one thing I do know: chances of
getting the advice "re-install Linux" are nearly zero, and that's why I
like Linux already...

I'm looking forward to your answers because I can't wait running Linux
smoothly on my nice and little Macintosh...