New installation, newbie questions -- reply

Hello again all!

Well, upgrading the kernel to 2.2.10 and the FB server to 3.3.3.1 seem to
have helped my X problem, while changing to 256-color mode in MacOS has
helped both the X problem and the boot-display problem.

However, now that X is actually working, another problem has cropped up --
after typing in username and password at the X login screen, I get dumped
back out after a few seconds!  I can't login.  <Ctrl>-<Shift>-<Delete>
gives me a second's view of the pre-X boot screen, then drops me right
back to the X login screen...

So, I now have an X login screen (with small window at lower right) but
no access to the system inside.  There's got to be a way to get in and
fix this...

Thanks to those who helped me with the previous problems -- and thanks in
advance for any help you can give me with this one.

(Once again: running 2.2.10 on Quadra 660AV, with 1 GB HD, AudioVision
monitor)

-- S. Maene
smaene@shepherd.edu