quadra660 boot problems *update*

Hi,

I seem to have gotten by the initial problem (mac esp)

now it hangs under 2 new installations (but this time
the cursor is moving)

I used a vmlinux as the kernel, and an older "linux"
kernel from disk image:

NEW ERROR MESSAGE

VFS can not open root Device
Kernal Panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 00:00

for background I have the standard 250mb drive thta
came with the quadra 660 av and 16mb ram....
I partitioned the drive so the first sectors are the
A/UX rt/usr and then a swap file in sector 2....
I only have the Debian i386 disk2 so there are few
additional resources to install at this point...

Word help or additional files necc. appratiated

sincerely
Jonathan Hendler