Re: Frustrated Amiga needs help at booting from HD!

Hello Gul,

On 16-Aug-99, you wrote:

GJ> hello!
GJ>
GJ> first of all, the stuff i'm talking about:
GJ>
GJ> A4000/040/16MB/3GB
GJ> debian (base2_1, amiboot-5.6), successfully installed using
GJ> StartInstall
GJ>
GJ> i was NOT given the opportunity to create a boot floppy or get a
GJ> bootloader starting it (both was said to be "still impossible").
GJ> that alone wouldn't really hurt, but after doing a
GJ>
GJ>  'amiboot-5.6 -k linuxamiga /dev/hda2 ro'
GJ>
GJ> it apparently doesn't even try to start from harddisk (although it
GJ> recognizes my root and swap partitions), but... well, here's the
GJ> output:
GJ>
GJ> Root-NFS: Unable to open at least on network device.
GJ> Root-NFS: Unable to contact NFS Server for root fs, using /dev/fd0
GJ>          instead.
GJ> VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER.
GJ>
GJ> i tried feeding it with a random floppy, which led to kernel panic
GJ> :)
GJ>
GJ> who can help?

To get my A1200 to boot after I'd completed StartInstall, I needed to
boot using:-

  amiboot-5.6 linuxamiga root=/dev/sda1 ro

which I put into an IconX file.  Obviously I'm using a SCSI HD whereas
you're using IDE but the 'root=' may be important.

Definitely important, I had to make a copy of linuxamiga and rename it
to vmlinux.  I found this using SnoopDOS.

Regards,

LeeE
--

http://www.spatial.freeserve.co.uk