Please Help!

This is a cry for helpful suggestions.
I am trying to get Debian 2.1 to install on a Performa 630cd (basically a Quadra 630 series) with a 68040 processor and a 550mb drive. I can't get Penguin to configure past the option for swap space. If i skip a swap space partion (I know i shoudn't but I was desperate) the program flips out with errors and never gets to the Root partion. Any ideas? Oh the real pain probably is the hard drive. It is an IDE drive. Oh the computer has 36 Mb of Ram. I was thinking that it might be the partioning so any recommendations on partioning the drive would be helpful, including the utility used. I have tried 2 different utilities.
Thanks for at least reading this.
Liz