Re: Dreaded X-windows for miggys

On 01-Aug-99, David Ellison wrote:

DE> Hello, All
DE>
DE> The config file for x-windows is driving me nuts..
DE>
DE> Firstly this is what my specs are:
DE>
DE> A1200 030/50, 16mb, 800mb main, 60mb swap.
DE>
DE> Linux 2.0.36, using slink debian dist.
DE>
DE> I have all the files I think I need.
DE>
DE> But whilst trying config.. I dont know which gfx driver I should be
DE> using.
DE>
DE> Also, for aga screens (which I understand is slow!) I'm using pal,
DE> with a standard Philips CM8833II pal monitor. I dont have the specs
DE> for this and philips will not answer.
DE>
DE> My question is:
DE>
DE> What type of display config would I need for this set-up. Like using
DE> a 640x215, 640x512 interlaced.
DE>
DE> Also what driver do I use?
DE>
DE> If some-one who has x-windows running to similar set-ups
DE> (non-(s)vga) monitors only please :) And can send the config file
DE> for a *guide* only.. It would be appreciated or perhaps what I
DE> should be adding.
DE>
DE> If there are some drivers etc that I should be d/l for my set-up
DE> which are considered important I'd appreciate what they are.
DE>
DE> Kind regards
DE>
DE> Dave.

You need to use the Frame Buffer Device.  Have a look at the man entries
for fbset: the -s option will show the current display settings,
including the monitor frequency, the -x option gives you the details
for the XF86Config entries.  There's some info on the Debian.org
website too.

I'll mail you a copy of my /etc/X11/XF86Config.

Regards,

LeeE
--

http://www.spatial.freeserve.co.uk