problem starting X on linux-m68k

I am running Debian 2.1 on a Quadra 700.  Everything is working fine
(even the ethernet :-) except I can't start X.

When I type "startx", it gets far enough to show the gray fishbone
background pattern, and then the X server terminates with the following
error:

PEXExtensionInit couldn't open default PEX font file Roman_M.

I added FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/PEX/" to my XF86Config, but
that didn't help.

I did a fairly vanilla install of Debian 2.1, so I figured this might be
a problem someone has seen before.  Does anyone know how to fix this
problem?

thanks,
Mike