Re: X display; xdm; wmaker; windowmaker; twm

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> And I didn't know there was some conflict or other interaction between
> startx and xdm. startx uses xinit to launch the X server, so the xinit man
> page
> might be more appropriate..
Maybe this is a little bit related... yesterday I had a funny problem on an
i386 box, I could not run X with xdm but I could run it with startx. xdm was
made fail proof, parse-xf86config is used to check if XF86Config is valid. I
had some special entries for the S3 board which were not regognized by
parse-xf86config, so it failed and xdm did not work. startx worked very well
though... Luckily parse-xf86config can be made verbose :-)

Oh btw, for which package do I have to file a bug to get
xf86setup_3.3.2.3a-8.1.deb removed? This one is a leftover from old xfree
packages and of really no use.

Ciao,
Christian.