serial port question

How exactly do you use the serial port on a Mac so that you can connect the
machine to the net? I couldn't figure it out. My modem and serial cable work
fine with MacOS but not with slink. I tried things like "echo 'ATZ' >
/dev/ttyS0" and saw the modem lights flashing so I think it should work with
slink as well. But no matter which program I try, minicom, wvdial or
whatever, I always get results like "modem did not respond". Which
unfortunately seems to be true because when I use these programs the modem
lights do not flash.