Re: Installation Error: OUT-OF-TIME

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Henrik Brauns wrote:

> Now I wanted to install Debian 2.1 on my A3K/68030/25MHz/16MB. After
> the base system was installed I selected the predefined setting for a
> standard workstation (about 440MB). I started at 16:00 and switched
> off the power at about 00:30, eight and a half hour later, with the
> installation still unfinished.
> It took about 6 hours just to unpack all packages and the rest of the
> time to configure them.
> Hey, does it really take that long ? I mean, I have a *fast* Amiga
> with a *68030* running at *25MHz*, compared to machines 10 years ago
> this is a real killer.

I found it took a long time too.  The biggest waste of time was when it
got emacs to byte compile stuff that I will likely never use.

I also lost time due to SCSI lockups.  It was a lesson, don't keep old
buggy drives on the bus!

Shawn D'Alimonte - sdalimon@ee.ryerson.ca
"Faster processors are nice, but they are not truly revolutionary. And
   neither are colors." - Jim Collas, Amiga Inc.