slink_cd about ready to go

OK, we should now be able to produce working installable CDs for all 4
arches, assuming the mirrors are up to date and the last few missing
packages are compiled up. Woo!

I've got install stuff from all the boot-floppy teams. Thanks for all the
hard work guys...

Just a last couple of things to make this look really good for release:

  I've got README.1ST files for m68k and i386 - _small_ text files giving
  people a quick start, or a pointer to longer docs. I've attached them
  here for reference. Can somebody from each of sparc and alpha please
  give me similar ones for those?

  Is there any way of getting silo to work on platforms other than sparc?
  Otherwise the images will always have to be made on sparcs.

  And similarly for alpha - I have an i386-specific version of
  isomarkboot, but no source or binaries for other platforms.

And I believe that's it. I'll have slink_cd 1.09 out later today. And then
I'm going to go to bed. For a week. I'm hitting a tight deadline at work
this week (which is why I'm in at the weekend), on top of the slink
release. Aaaaaaaaargh!

--
Steve McIntyre, Allstor Software         smcintyr@allstor-sw.co.uk
Also available from steve_mcintyre@geocities.com

README for Debian 2.1 CD installation.

======================================

If you have a BVME 4000 or 6000, you can boot the installation system

from CD. You will need to insert CD#1 in your CD-ROM drive and reboot.

If your system will not boot from CD, you should run the appropriate

installation program for your system.  They are in subdirectories of

install for each platform (amiga, atari, mac, vme).

See \install\install.txt for more information.  Some more detailed

notes about this CD set are in \README.m68k. Also check \README.multicd for

last-minute information about the multi-cd installation method.

Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org> 12 Feb 1999

README for Debian 2.1 CD installation.
======================================

To boot the installation system from CD, you will need to insert
either CD#1 or CD#2 in your CD-ROM drive and reboot.

CD#1 contains a normal kernel that should work for most people and
contains many drivers.

CD#2 is a smaller system based on the "tecra" kernel - this is smaller
because it has fewer drivers compiled in to avoid a known problem with
large kernels on laptops, especially the Toshiba Tecra series.

If your system will not boot from CD, there are other options:

1.Boot a DOS system with CD drivers, then run boot.bat from the
  \install direcory on the first CD.

2.Make boot floppies from the images on the first CD, in the directory
  \dists\stable\main\disks-i386\current. The program rawrite2.exe in
  that directory will write the floppy images under DOS. e.g.

	d: 										   (change to the CD drive)
	cd \dists\stable\main\disks-i386\current
	rawrite2 -f resc1440.bin -d a:			   (a: is the 1.44 MB floppy drive)

See \install\install.txt for more information, and \README.multicd for
last-minute information about the multi-cd installation method.

Steve McIntyre <stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk> 15 Feb 1999