Re: devices for m68k

Hartmut Koptein wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i added m68k support for the /dev/MAKEDEV file and a little bit for the boot-floppies.
> Please test it. (bdale has the patch for makdev*.dev but not yet announced).
>
> Atari uses the ad?? devices for the harddisks and mac / pmac have the adb device.
> As you can see, this conflicts  (adb & adb). So i changed the entry for the
> mac adb device into adbm, but this doesn't help, because 'MAKEDEV update'
> looks into the /proc dir and finds adb.

We've discussed this a bit, and frankly, adb should never appear in
/proc/devices on Atari
(same as ad shouldn't appear on Mac). An acceptable name for the ADB
device would be
/dev/adb-bus or /dev/adbbus, but we need to discuss this with the
powerpc port (they already
use /dev/adb for a long time). If MAKEDEV update can't handle this name,
it needs fixing
(there might be other special cases, what about the misc devices used
for mice?).

AFAIK there are no /dev/adb[0-15] devices currently in use so we could
pick unique names
that won't clash with the ACSI disks.

CC: to Paul, he's not on this list I guess.