kernel dumps in X

 Hello,

   I've installed X11 3.3.1 from the debian packages and various window
 managers also, but all of them are giving me kernel dumps except fvwm2,0.
 Even the xterm that came with this X package causes a kernel dump, in
 practice X us unusable with this setup. I'm running the precompiled
 generic 2.0.29, I have 2.0.33 here but it has that bug that prevents
 X from running and I don't have gcc installed yet to compile my own
 kernel. Is there an generic kernel already precompiled with that patch,
 or the problem with the kernel dumps doesn't have anything to do with
 the kernel?

 thanks

--

 Frederico Borges