RE: Install procedure?

Hi,

>>The procedure for machines without a working floppy driver is the same as for
>>the Amiga: put all the requierd files for installation into the same directory
>>(booter, kernel, ramdisk, resc1440.bin and drv1440.bin floppy images,
>>base2_0.tgz,
>
>   Actually, the directory is irrelevant -- I made only a 10 MB HFS
>partition for the System Folder, Penguin, some kernels, and a RAM disk, so
>I used a separate volume (a 230 MO drive, in fact) for the Debian disk
>images.

Sure, the directory is not important, the install process will search for all
possible locations. But it's on a Mac, keep that in mind. The Linux HFS
filesystem code will show you all sorts of things that aren't data files...

>>Use base2_0.tgz, base1_3.tgz might get you into problems. I'm assuming you're
>>aware of the unstable status of Debian/68k.
>
>   Can you remind us where to get this mysterious file base2_0.tgz?  I
>haven't seen it at ftp.debian.org, and the URL that was posted here before
>doesn't seem to be documented anywhere I can think to look.

James posted it in December, and there should be an archive of this list
somewhere. It's on ftp.nocrew.pp.se somewhere, I don't recall the
complete URL either.

>>One problem you will run into when using a Mac HFS volume as medium for the
>>binary-m68k archive is the representation of HFS resource fork etc. under
>>Linux.
>>Won't affect the base system install, just bulk installation of later
>>packages
>>with dselect. I had to run dpkg -iGROEB (or whatever the exact options were)
>>on each of the binary-m68k subdirs manually).
>
>   Really?  What's the problem?  Maybe it would be worth it to run a Mac
>FTP server (unless of course you have a direct Internet connection for this
>machine), or move the files to an ext2 partition.

The problem is with the way resource fork and finder info (pointless
information for Unix files on HFS) are represented. Default is a directory
'.resource' holding the resoure forks and another one '.finderinfo' for
the finder data, residing in the same folder as the data files. The files
in these folders have the same names as the data files, hence the problems
with 'find ./binary-m68k -name '*.deb' -print'. dpkg will try to process the
metadata as package files. Not a pretty sight.

>>I've heard that it's required to first install perl manually before using
>>dselect,
>
>   The latest dpkg-ftp requires (pre-depends on) perl.  I suppose that
>perl-base will satisfy that requirement.

That's anyone's assumption, but it's wrong. It's supposed to work with
perl-base and libnet, but it won't.

But I was refering to using dselect, not dpkg-ftp. Thomas Kruse had problems
with dselect on the Afterburner040 until he installed perl.

	Michael

debian-68k/footer.txt
debian-68k/tmp.request
debian-admintool/footer.normal