RE: Install procedure?

At 5:10 PM -0800 1998.01.18, Michael Schmitz wrote:

>>Is there an install procedure documented anywhere for folks who can't use the
>>install floppies?  I just got a kernel booting on my Mac SE/30, but it
>>doesn't
>>have a working floppy driver.
>
>The procedure for machines without a working floppy driver is the same as for
>the Amiga: put all the requierd files for installation into the same directory
>(booter, kernel, ramdisk, resc1440.bin and drv1440.bin floppy images,
>base2_0.tgz,
>that should be it). The ramdisk for use with base2_0.tgz is at
>ftp.uni-erlangen.de
>in the Debian-support subdirectory, it has both fixes for the pre2.0 install
>and
>Mac support - name should be root2_0.bin.<date>.

   Actually, the directory is irrelevant -- I made only a 10 MB HFS
partition for the System Folder, Penguin, some kernels, and a RAM disk, so
I used a separate volume (a 230 MO drive, in fact) for the Debian disk
images.

>Use base2_0.tgz, base1_3.tgz might get you into problems. I'm assuming you're
>aware of the unstable status of Debian/68k.

   Can you remind us where to get this mysterious file base2_0.tgz?  I
haven't seen it at ftp.debian.org, and the URL that was posted here before
doesn't seem to be documented anywhere I can think to look.

>Boot the ramdisk and work through the menu. Chose 'harddisk filesystem' as
>installation medium.

   Ahh, that makes life a little easier -- previously we had to run a shell
and mount the partition manually.  Thanks.

>One problem you will run into when using a Mac HFS volume as medium for the
>binary-m68k archive is the representation of HFS resource fork etc. under
>Linux.
>Won't affect the base system install, just bulk installation of later
>packages
>with dselect. I had to run dpkg -iGROEB (or whatever the exact options were)
>on each of the binary-m68k subdirs manually).

   Really?  What's the problem?  Maybe it would be worth it to run a Mac
FTP server (unless of course you have a direct Internet connection for this
machine), or move the files to an ext2 partition.

>I've heard that it's required to first install perl manually before using
>dselect,

   The latest dpkg-ftp requires (pre-depends on) perl.  I suppose that
perl-base will satisfy that requirement.

Josh

--
Joshua Juran                                   Metamage Software Creations
=)                          Unstoppable love        Tools for Wizards

debian-68k/footer.txt
debian-68k/tmp.request
debian-admintool/footer.normal
debian-admintool/footer.txt