Re: preliminary, beta base2_0.tgz available

Hi,

>> The bootdisks is another dark chapter
>
>I've already answered this in private mail; but if you look at current
>boot-floppies source, I don't think you'll be quite so pessimistic.

The 'current' source I looked at was the tarball you put on nocrew.

And apologies if I'm reading PM after the mail on my lab account - it goes
to my Falcon, some time when the mail host decides to recognize my presence.

>> What about using a patched 1.3 ramdisk until Bruce finishes the bootdisks?
>
>[Ad nauseam ... ], as I said in pm, fine, it's sub-optimal, but if it
>works, do it, I haven't got anything better to suggest.

Ok, going to ftp.uni-erlangen.de ... or is there another upload area you
recommend??

>> I'll try to work from perl-base and libnet; if nothing else works we'll have
>> to add perl to the list of base packages.
>
>That is *not* an option.
>
>3026846 interpreters/perl_5.004.04-3.deb
>
>And it installs to 7Mb on disk; we can not just add that to the base
>set.  Or at least I don't consider an 11 disk (-> 22 Mb when
>installed) base set an acceptable option.

You're right. So it boils down to fixing the perl-base / libnet combination
(or telling people 'get perl_5.004.04-3.deb if you want to perform an FTP install).

>> Do you need my patches to the boot-floppies disaster?
>
>Only if they're relevant to non-bo source.

See above: they're for the new boot-floppies tarball.