Re: How to sign .changes file?

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Frank Neumann writes:
> |> PS: Juergen: About the 'fdformat' program: You once told me you had to
> |> change the FILL_BYTE value to make it sort-of work for your Atari - is
> |> this still required (I think you changed it from 0xf6 to 0xe5), or
> |> did the changes during the last kernel revisions already help?
>
> You cannot use 0xf6 for the virgin contents of a track during
> formatting on the Atari because that is a special command to the fdc
> (all bytes with a high nibble of 0xf are fdc commands, things like
> "replace with crc value" or "write address mark").

3 comments:
- 0xf6 tells the fdc to write a sync on disk (if i recall correctly)
- since FILL_BYTE is set by the kernel headers it should be set correctly
  there. sorry, i'm no kernel hacker, and this seem's somewhat difficult
  if other archs need an 0xf in the high nibble?!?
- .../680x0/bin/fdformat was built by an amiga guy for the amiga.
  roman (?) later on built .../680x0/bin/atafdformat which not only
  redefines the FILL_BYTE but also some other track layout enhacements
  (which would really be nice to include... ;-))

hope it helps
jjm

--
Juergen Menden                   | Disclaimer: The opinions expressed by me,
tel:    +49 (89) 2051 - 2387     +-----------+ are (usually) not the opinions

Hi! I'm a .signature virus!  Add me to your .signature and join in the fun!