Re: **** ARCHIVE MOVED TO MASTER SITE ****

> Hi,
> a few days ago Dominik Kubla wrote:
>
> > The Debian/68k archive has been moved to the Debian master site and should
> > be on every mirror site soon (give or take some days ...)
>
> Ok, this still hasn't been done :-\. Are uploads to Mainz still possible
> (and are they already automatically forwarded to master), or should I put
> them onto master directly myself, or should I just wait a little more?

Do as you wish! Also the automatic forward mechanismen is not yet installed
(guess who had little spare time lately ...), i will continue to forward all
uploads to master.debian.org.

As for the packages still in the incoming area, i will remind bdale to move
them ...

> Juergen already asked this, and I'd like to see some discussion about it.
> Should the changes files we produce only reflect differences relative to
> the corresponding "PC" packages? That would mean many packages don't require
> any changes at all, and for those that do require changes those changes
> should be sent to the corresponding PC maintainer to merge them into the
> generic sources - so in the long term these packages won't require any
> m68k specific changes either. So, I don't see any sense in doing this.

But there is! The debian changes fill contains md5 checksums of the packages,
so that their integrity can be checked! There has been a lot of discussion
about ensuring the packages integrity and avoid tampered packages being spread!

> Of course, the PC maintainers should not just get the diffs, but also
> a few lines stating what was necessary to make the packages compile
> and run on m68k. Those few lines should maybe already be written in the
> format of dchanges(5) so that they just cut&paste it into their changes
> files. But why m68k specific changes file?

See above: Because the binaries are different, the archive file will be
different => the checksum will be different.
Also it may be possible that different archs have different versions of
a package (eg. gcc-2.7.2 is a no-go on the Alpha!)

Dominik
Visit the FAN SITE of the WORLD LEAGUE OF AMERICAN FOOTBALL:
   http://www.uni-mainz.de/~kubla/WLAF/Welcome.html
or:
   file:/afs/zdv.uni-mainz/homes/UFO/kubla/public_html/WLAF/Welcome.html