Re: Sponsoring: expenses we should not pay directly

also sprach Margarita Manterola <margamanterola@gmail.com> [2014-06-28 16:28 +0200]:
> We cover the expenses of every other dinner, but covering the
> "Conference Dinner" is not accepted?
>
> What's the reasoning behind that?

Well, we only cover the expenses for every other dinner for people
who are contributing, who are "important" (in the sense that they
make the conference more attractive), and who are "in need".¹

Those expenses include basic feeding.

The conference dinner costs $more, and it might be hard to argue
that the additional expense still "benefits the public"…

Mind you, we can try. I am not saying it won't work. But if we find
another way, it would be better.

And I think finding a sponsor for the conf dinner — even if the
sponsor gets to stand up and say 3 minutes of $speech before wishing
us a good appetite — would be a good way to handle this.

Don't you?

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf14: Portland, OR, USA:   http://debconf14.debconf.org