Re: [Debconf-team] PSU Network Requirements

On 6 June 2014 17:00, tony mancill <tmancill@debian.org> wrote:
> The portal requires redirection to a web page where you type in your
> name, agree not to do bad things on their network, and then choose
> whether you'd like the code via SMS or email.  If you opt for email,
> then it give you a window of 10 minutes during which at least a few
> ports (I'm not sure which all) are open and DNS works; I've been able to
> check my email over IMAPS from my mail client of choice.  After that,
> the connectivity seems fine [...]

This would get tedious to repeat every day on a laptop and a couple
extra devices. Also this might be quite hard to execute on head-less
devices. In my personal case this would mean that my Wireless SD card
would not be able to be connected there.

If the devices can get a normal DHCP address and be accessible from
the rest of the network without having to go trough that portal first,
then it might be survivable. Easy procedure for whitelisting a MAC
address for the duration of the conference would simplify this problem
a lot. But then they must be ready for several hundred of such
requests in the first days.

--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius@debian.org