Re: [Debconf-team] DC14 C&W venue status

Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> writes:
> Quoting tony mancill (tmancill@debian.org):
>> Thanks for working on this.  I think we'd have OLCC issues (for those
>> not from this area, the Oregon Liquor Control Commission) anywhere
>> (even in the countryside), so having servers at a private event at
>> Puppet Labs seems like the most preferable option.  (And my 0.02, I'd
>> rather bring my glass to a server and ask for a pour than have a
>> 1oz./30mL in a little sample cup.)  If we spread the servers around
>> to several tables and interleave those with multiple cheese tables,
>> it should be a nice party.
>
> I agree that it sounds like the local policy will enforce some change
> in the usual C&W "policy", yes.
>
> Is there a way that the servers are "volunteer" servers? I think it
> would better fit the spirit of the C&W if you could assemble a team of
> 5-10 volunteers for alcohol serving.

I'll ask about volunteer servers.  With a venue that I had been
researching earlier (Eliot Center) volunteers were possible (and 10
would be too many), unfortunately these volunteers wouldn't be allowed
to imbibe any wine :(

>> Disclaimer:  The only C&W party I've attended was at Debconf10, so
>> perhaps I didn't experience the full potential of self-serve C&W, but
>> having servers there wouldn't have been an issue for me.
>
> DC10 was a quite successful one and was indeed among the common
> standards of many Debconf C&W. Its weaknesses were:
> - being in a closed space that was a bit too small (not as small as
> DC11, though) for the crowd
> - being in a building that was not the standard Debconf location" (but
> still very very very close so that was not a problem the C&W orga)
> - not being accessible (my biggest shame ever for a C&W that Otavio
> couldn't indeed attend....:-( )

IIRC (from Steve Langasek in our face to face meeting), the party is on
the second floor and there is elevator access so we're covered as far as
accessibility goes.  There is also plenty of capacity (300?).

> Its strength were:
> - wonderful help by the local team who dedicated someone to help me
> arrange things (damn, I can't remember her name!)
> - nice atmosphere with even people dancing and some other people
> playing Mao in a nearby room
> - great meetup with some of the Cheese and Wine Pionneers from DebConf
> 5
>
> Back to the servers topic: we never had to do this but I'm fairly sure
> it can work, particularly if a volunteers team can be built (probably
> with some "training" about OLCC just to be sure you don't have trouble
> with local authorities and the hosting place).

Great, sounds like Tony, Christian, and Bdale believe this can work.

Now just need to commit to a date, Monday the 25th?

--
Gerald Turner <gturner@unzane.com>        Encrypted mail preferred!