Re: Preparing UTFPR for the video team

>>> * minipc
>>> Specs?
>>> i3 2gig of ram is acceptable. 10gig of disk per hour of recording.
>>> pci-e slot for the capture card.
>>
>> In our recent tests, a 2015 i5 was not sufficient to run voctomix
>> properly. I would highly recommend you get a machine with a recent i7 CPU.
>
> What tests?
>
> I just used a 2009 i3 to record 2 days of PyOhio.
>
> I have it running now with 2 gst videotestsrc/audiotestsrc which are
> more cpu bound than reading from the BM or network card.
>
> core, gui, 2 sources, 2 file sync.
> htop shows all 4 cores around 60%

We used a 2015 i5 at DebConf18 and we had a lot of trouble. We had to
reduce the preview quality a lot since we were loosing frame and were
experiencing audio desync because of a high CPU usage.

I think the main difference between our setups is we have a 2nd camera
and thus 3 sources.

From our tests the linux kernel patches for Specter (KPTI) also has a
large impact.

>>> * Cameras (borrowed from the university
>>> What model?
>>> they should have balanced audio in, and SDI or HDMI output.
>>
>> SDI is preferable to HDMI, since you'll have to use HDMI extenders if
>> you go with HDMI.
>
> I use HDMI, and I don't use extenders.

But you don't have an audience camera that is 50+ meters away from the
mixing PC :P

--
      ,''`.
     : :'  :     Louis-Philippe Véronneau