Re: [Debconf-video] Report from last week-end's single-user single-day DebConf Video sprint

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 1:40 PM, Kyle Robbertze <krobbertze@gmail.com> wrote:
On 27/06/2017 17:54, Peter 'p2' De Schrijver wrote:
> On 2017-06-27 13:26:37 (+0200), Wouter Verhelst <w@uter.be> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 12:51:40AM +0200, Nicolas Dandrimont wrote:
>>>[...]
>>> - Audio input setup: I only had batteries for the tests (no AC adapter) and I
>>>   noticed the Sony would lose audio input settings when rebooting. As it
>>>   defaulted to shoe mic it's not a showstopper.
>>
>> [...]
>
> Rather than routing the audio through the camera, maybe just get something
> like this: https://global.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2
> or a version with more interfaces and feed the audio directly into the mixer
> PC. I think this should also make cabling a little easier. Using a version
> with more inputs, would also allow us to feed the environment audio directly
> into the mixer PC, simplifying the audio mixer setup.

There are two reasons for running through the camera:
1 - It removes sync issues. There are delays inherent in the analogue to
digital conversion for both video and audio. When they are separate
input streams, sync is not maintained and drift between the end result's
audio and video can become noticeable.

2 - We already mix a house feed on an analogue sound board. It is
trivial to add room mics to this (not run out to the house mix) and run
the result to the camera, no extra equipment required.

+1

+1