Re: [Debconf-video] Approval for DebConf Video Team equipment purchases

* Kyle Robbertze <krobbertze@gmail.com> [2017-06-17 17:53:57 +0200]:

> Dear Chris,
>
> >> * 6 Cameras (3000 EUR ea = 18000 EUR)
> >> * 5 BlackMagic PCI cards (165 EUR ea = 825 EUR)
> >> * 2 Opsis boards (450 EUR ea = 900 EUR)
> >> * 2 Flight cases (600 EUR ea = 1200 EUR)
> >
> > Would be very happy to approve, but first can you just outline for
> > myself and for the leader@ history why we don't "already" have these
> > cameras? :)  I mean, I've seen cameras at DebConfs before :)
>
> We currently own 2 large prosumer cameras and 2 handheld camcorders. The
> two other cameras for coverage of a third room at past DebConfs were
> usually hired.

Those cameras were sponsored by IRILL in 2011, and ttbomk have served us at all
our events during those five years.

> At DC16 we tested using new mixing software (voctomix),
> which is capable of doing HD video (we used 720p) over SDI cabling and
> decided to move to it as our mixing software of the future. Previously
> we used software that only worked with standard definition (dvswitch),
> over old, short firefire cables. The issue is that our current cameras
> cannot handle HD video, nor can they take SDI out and so are
> incompatible with the new voctomix setup.

The small camcorders only do low resolutions and are not compatible with our
current setup (and the connector on one of them failed at DC16, so we can
realistically only use one). Of the two big cameras, one has had issues with
audio input -- noticed during the MiniDC Cambridge in 2016, so we're pretty
much left with only one fully working 6-year-old camera :)

--
Nicolas Dandrimont

BOFH excuse #33:
piezo-electric interference