Re: [Debconf-video] DebConf16

On 2016-03-23 03:23, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:32:09AM -0400, Holger Levsen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> thanks for starting this discussion!
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 08:13:17AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>>> First, I think the big question is how we're going to record dc16.
>>
>> Actually, I think that's not first, but second.
>>
>> What IMO really needs to be done first is making sure we have gear in
>> Cape Town. Without gear you cannot run neither voctomix nor dvswitch.
>
> Sure.
>
> But my thoughts were that the gear we want to get to Cape Town may
> depend on what software stack we're going to end up using.
>
> If we use dvswitch, we *have* to use DV cameras, which pretty much means
> shipping hardware from Paris to Cape town. If we use voctomix, then DV
> cameras is no longer a hard requirement, and therefore it *may* be
> cheaper to rent cameras locally. If that is the case, we should do so;
> but that's all moot if we can't end up using them.
>
> Therefore I think we should decide on that first; but I agree with you
> that getting hardware in Cape Town is insanely important, and that we
> should get ready doing that ASAP.
>
> (of course, if you think that it's a bad idea to rent gear locally for
> whatever reason, I'd be happy to hear your reasoning on that, too)
>
>> That said, voctomix has not only been used as linux.conf.au, but also at
>> several smaller events done by the CCC VOC. (They do a lot of events
>> nowadays, alomst two per months (in the last year) I'd say. And at some,
>> they have used voctomix.
>
> That's great to know; I didn't know this was the case.
>
> In that light, I think we should take the plunge and go with voctomix.
> We'll have a full week to experiment with getting it to work properly;
> that should be plenty.

I agree. We'll eventually have to switch anyway and I think we can
manage the quirks and bugs we'll find. This will help a lot for the next
DCs.

>> But really, this is secondary. First someone needs to take the lead and
>> make sure there is gear in South Africa.
>>
>> *Then*, once this is being take care off, focus can shift to other
>> things. (And of course there is nothing wrong with paralleing work, but
>> please consider working on the "boring" logistic first if you have
>> cycles to spare.)
>>
>> I wont be much available the two or three weeks before the conference
>> and I will miss DebCamp too, so it doesnt make sense if I try to lead
>> this.
>
> Well, I do plan to attend debcamp. I may want to do some coding then
> (need to implement STARTTLS for NBD), but nothing too important.

I'll be there for DebCamp too so I can help out.

As for the CCC video editing software, Tiago posted some notes here:
http://tiago.acaia.ca/tags/ccc/

If you want I can try to find some time to build it and play around with it.

--
pollo