Re: [Debconf-video] DebConf16

On 23 March 2016 at 18:23, Wouter Verhelst <w@uter.be> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:32:09AM -0400, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for starting this discussion!
>
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 08:13:17AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > First, I think the big question is how we're going to record dc16.
>
> Actually, I think that's not first, but second.
>
> What IMO really needs to be done first is making sure we have gear in
> Cape Town. Without gear you cannot run neither voctomix nor dvswitch.

Sure.

But my thoughts were that the gear we want to get to Cape Town may
depend on what software stack we're going to end up using.

If we use dvswitch, we *have* to use DV cameras, which pretty much means
shipping hardware from Paris to Cape town. If we use voctomix, then DV
cameras is no longer a hard requirement, and therefore it *may* be
cheaper to rent cameras locally. If that is the case, we should do so;
but that's all moot if we can't end up using them.

Therefore I think we should decide on that first; but I agree with you
that getting hardware in Cape Town is insanely important, and that we
should get ready doing that ASAP.

(of course, if you think that it's a bad idea to rent gear locally for
whatever reason, I'd be happy to hear your reasoning on that, too)

I think my dvsource-v4l-other has worked well enough (been used with the HDMI2USB stuff at PyCon ZA and Linux.conf.au) that pretty much anything which has a gstreamer pipeline can be feed into dvswitch reliably. Tumbleweed has even packaged most of this up for Debian IIRC.

> That said, voctomix has not only been used as linux.conf.au, but also at
> several smaller events done by the CCC VOC. (They do a lot of events
> nowadays, alomst two per months (in the last year) I'd say. And at some,
> they have used voctomix.

That's great to know; I didn't know this was the case.

In that light, I think we should take the plunge and go with voctomix.
We'll have a full week to experiment with getting it to work properly;
that should be plenty.

voctomix was used in the main room at LCA and had a number of issues with the setup we were trying to use. I *think* most of these have been sorted, but I would make sure you had a backup plan for if voctomix doesn't work with your set up.

I'd definitely recommend trying to stick as close to the setup that the CCC VOC use for reduced hassles.

Ryan Verner (ryan.verner@gmail.com) is the best person to ask about how voctomix at LCA went.

Tim 'mithro' Ansell