Re: [Debconf-video] dc14 video setup and training schedule

short: I need help with packaging. not for dc14 which should give you an idea of how comfortable I am with how dc14 things are going.

Others share your thoughts too, so I am addressing the group, not you personally.

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> wrote:
Hello,

On Sat, 2014-08-16 at 13:57 -0500, Carl Karsten wrote:
> For anyone that was planning on helping setup on Thursday, there won't
> be much to do.  for 100 reasons I pushed the equipment delivery to
> Friday.
We don't need 100 reasons, one would be enough.

A friend asked me to make a video of his mom's funeral.    2 cameras, DVswtich and the rest of the stack gives us

She was a theater producer, the show you see there was her last script. It was a good show. RIP Dyanne.

On the opposite there were some good reasons to deliver the equipments
earlier:
* Some people planned to arrive ahead to setup, test and adjust
  the setup.

please please please work on software.  See other dc-v posts for suggestions.   Later today I'll collect them into a wiki page.

Maybe track down what CCC did for Erou PyCon, I hear they had some troubles due to the poor state of the various video processing projects.  (gst-switch is the one I care most about.)

If you must work on hardware, i am sure the networking team has an endless supply of tasks. I can't imagine them saying "we are done, there is nothing more we can do."

* There is zero margins in your setup plan, shit happens ! Not just
  delivery, Not just harware, Not just software, not just network...
  anything, not to mention the  Bus Factor (1 = You)

Not true.  We don't need 2 hours lunches, we can be in the rooms till 10p.. etc.

Really we don't have to start on Friday at all, so thats and extra 24 hours.

The proposed schedule is very relaxed.

* By not delivering the hardware before, you decided yourself to use
  your software setup, your configuration. but no documentations.

Not true.

You seems to take little care of what existed before you decided to
takeover DebConf video stuff with your stuffs.

You seems to take little care of the bad reputation for Debian, DebConf
and the VideoTeam if anything goes wrong.

Well, you seem to want to do everything your way, on your own. You may
find yourself a little bit alone.

I am very concerned with all these things is seems you think I don't care about.
not sure this matters.

I hope I am 100% wrong, still, I stroke my name through on the wiki help
page until i get a better understanding (or remove my name completely
otherwise)

other than people's offers to help feeling unappreciated, I am not too worried about it.  I am very good at setting up rooms, I am not good at all in sorting out packaging issues and the few times I have tried it has driven me crazy.  I would be very appreciative of some help with that.

But volunteers can do whatever they want, so no one should get too upset about it ok?

Franklin

(who suddenly has 3 unplanned holydays in Portland. even though he would
have spent it with his wife and daughter)

--
Carl K