Re: [Debconf-video] 5th of august, 18 UTC, videoteam irc kickoff meeting [summary]

Summary of DC14 Videoteam meeting (2014-08-05)
See [1] for full log.

Introduction and Plans
======================

List of participants and their plans:

  - edrz is making an attempt at videoteam scheduling in summit;
  - jrayhawk is a Portland local who streamed/recorded XDC2014.
    He has access to infrastructure at PSU and a fair amount of equipment;
  - urbec might help with hardware setup;
  - h01ger will once again try to manage the wonderful chaos, which
    hopefully wont be so chaotic with CarlFK and everybody else joining
    the fun;
  - Tiago has done pyohio with CarlFK;
  - Sylvestre was not there for the meeting but should be able to help
    from Paris.
  - RichiH will not be at dc14, but he can try and help remotely where possible
  - Cate won't attend DC14

Other participants: CarlFK, p2-mate, tassia, franklin, nattie, bwh, valessio, aps-sids

Hardware
========

CarlFK is bringing almost everything, including [2]:
  - panasonic dvx100 cameras, with XLR in and DV firewire out
  - XLR cables for the camera
  - audio mixers
  - dvswitch laptops
  - mics (including stands and holders)
  - 1.5tb usb drive

jrayhawk thinks he can only get one screen/projector free of charge.
The file server and switches are missing, we should ask the NOC and/or
RichiH. Edrz thinks kees is the local handling network stuff, Holger
asked him to pass that on to him.
Tassia suggested that we buy vga/hdmi adaptors, if found in a reasonable price.

Missing hardware: projectors, screens, speakers, amps, better storage,
file server, switches, vga/hdmi adaptors

Software stack
==============

Live production
---------------

h01ger suggested to use wheezy plus what we used at dc13, including
sesses stuff (cube streamer [3]);
CarlFK suggested using the machines as they are now, they have a solid
and tested setup;
h01ger suggested reinstalling them, so more people know the stuff running on it;
Tiago brought up the problem with unity freezing during pyohio (X was
restarted in the middle of talks due to freezing);
aps-sids agreed that CarlFK's is a reliable solution and suggested to
replace unity;
Holger opposes to run ubuntu to do debconf video

we will need to discuss the software setup in detail later

Holger asked if can we use the streaming infrastrcuture like for dc13
and previous years again, Ganeff replied [after the meeting]:
> mostly, yes. the low quality icecast streaming may need one or two updates for servers, but will otherwise just work.
> no idea for the high quality, didnt get to it with sesse since dc13

Review/encoding/publishing
--------------------------

Not discussed during the meeting. edrz mentioned that CarlFK has this
veyepar for reviewing.

Managing volunteer shifts
-------------------------

edrz has been working on writing a volunteer scheduling piece in
summit, nothing to show yet. Hopefully he will get something done in
time, but it would be prudent to have a backup plan.

Using penta for volunteer schedule might not just be a mater of
importing the data. Ganneff told cate that in he should do a lot of
works to use penta.

As a backup plan, a clipboard in the room or a wiki page could be used.

Setup, when + who
=================

20th: Holger (late), urbec, jrayhawk (local, can make it any time)
21st: franklin, [tassia and tiago (? maybe 22nd)]
23rd: edrz

Budget
=====
  - $2000: shipping 1000 lbs of gear and boxes from chicago to
    portland and back: $2000 (CarlFK, from a shipping company).
  - $900: screens, projectors, amps, speakers for the week (CarlFK,
    from a portland av company)

  Total: $2900

ToDo
====
  - Send mail to speakers. They should have a laptop with a VGA
    connector, or borrow one from someone.
  - Ask the NOC and/or RichiH about file server and switches
  - Get missing quote: extra storage and vga/hdmi adaptors

Links
====
[0] https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf14/Videoteam/Meetings
[1] Full log of the meeting: