Re: [Debconf-video] Question on Creating Subtitle (srt) File

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 1:50 AM, Zaki Akhmad <zakiakhmad@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello DebConf Video Team,
>
> First of all, I'd like to say big thanks for the video team. WIth
> these recordings, I could "experience" how does it DebConf feels ;-)

There are a lot of editors some give the option to preview [1] others
you need to write the texts and then make the timing [2], in any case
one great place to ask about subtitles is opensubtitles.org [3]

> And another thanks goes to the subtitle, since the Bits from DPL has subtitle.
> I'm curious how to make this subtitle (srt) file with it's time stamp.
> Is it created manually? How to match the time? What video player with
> high precision time to miliseconds?

As far as I remember there are also tools for that but last time I run
mplayer from CLI gives you that format. If memory serves right on VLC
is a configurable option. Also a great how to is located here [4], and
just now, I know that subtitle editor is packaged on Debian [5]

[1] http://www.jubler.org/
[2] http://home.gna.org/gaupol/features.html
[3] http://forum.opensubtitles.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2881
[4] http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-subtitles.html