Re: [Debconf-video] [Debconf-team] Fwd: licensing question for Eben's Debconf video

On 03/12/2011 04:53 AM, Holger Levsen wrote:
>> We're trying to get all of Eben's FreedomBox-related speeches online in
>> > a central place and that would be much simplified if we could have a
>> > copy of Eben's DebConf video under CC-BY-SA rather than the BSD-like
>> > license from the archive site
> I'm not sure how this makes things easier... ;) See below :/ But we'll discuss
> it.

FWIW, getting everything under one of the CC licenses makes it much
easier to share and distribute the video because all of the video tools
we use (Youtube, vimeo, Internet Archive) have built-in capabilities for
specifying what CC license to apply to a video, making it easy for us
and others who may make derivative works to comply with the license's
requirements.

In contrast, the debconf video license here:
http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/LICENSE requires
that a copy of the license be distributed with all copies of the work,
which it is unclear how to do with any of the video sharing tools in
particular, or with video streaming in general.

If you are interested in making use of some of the new networked video
tools (Universal Subtitles in particular could be of great use) to get
debconf presentations viewed more widely, you might want to consider
switching to one of the CC licenses. We choose CC-BY-SA in particular
just because we're copy-left fans, and because that was already the
license of two of Eben's speeches on the subject, but  the tools are
just as happy with CC-BY.

All of the above just reflects my own experience with the tools and the
licenses and is just for informational purposes, not an exhortation or
legal advice, which I am not qualified to give. If you'd like more
details on what I've run into though and some of the new free software
video tools, I am happy to share my experiences.

Best,

Ian