[Debconf-video] notes from the video-team meeting in erkelenz for debconf6

video-team meeting in erkelenz for debconf6

[i've added infos I gathered after the meeting in square-brackets]

participants
------------
Herman
Henning
Holger

Topics
------
Motivation / Goals
Processes
Hardware Requirements
Managing volunteers / schedules - "herding cats"

1. Motivation / Goals
---------------------

- repeat the success of debconf5
- emphasize dvds (maybe release a beta in .mx)
- improving sound(levels) to be more consistent
- live-streaming not this time (again) - we dont have a working solution,
don't have time for research, infrastructure is also lacking (uplink,
streaming server [got an offer later])

2. Processes
------------
Video-Mixing
============
- we talked about mixing digital streams, not analog
- we wont have a video booth, if we want mixing we need our own solution
- then we would also need several cameras _and_ operators (the booth made
operating the cameras also easier, as mixing+some cams were combined)
- there will be two talk rooms with simultaneous talks [confirmed]
- if we go for a (software) solution, we need a box with two firewire-inputs
- maybe a mix of a webcam (no zooming) and a dv-cam
- research needs to be done _FAST_ - we have three month left - but: limited
people as this as well?! only toresbe and herman
-> maybe we wont have video mixing

Better sound
============
- if we dont get cool video let's try to go for cool sound
- level control (normalize in batches ? needs research.... Ben ?)
- record sound extra ? (needs post-processing)
- hook up the PA to the camera (might be difficult)

We have no sound crew (VOLUNTEERS WELCOME)! [p2 volunteers to help - p2 is no
crew though ;) ]

Get the files online faster
===========================
- we need user accounts on the machine(s)
- we need a local fileserver
- we need fast encoding servers with prepared scripts
=> get this requirements in taskjuggler!
- "if you put a file in this directory, it gets encoded in all formats and
uploaded/published automatically"
- we need to have a (constant!) uplink(-share) of 300kbps (which allows us to
publish 2GB per day)

h01ger volunteers to prepare this

3. Hardware Requirements
------------------------
- radio microphones for the speaker & the audience
- $localteam: research PA siutation and cable details (one room only)
- get audiocables
- we'll have two talks simultainiously
- martin, john, $everybody: bring your own NTSC cameras (pal as backup) [can
you dvgrab a ntsc tape from a pal camera ???]
- serverspace: 2TB in .mx, 100-200GB on delenn in DA.de, batch-user-account on
delenn
- hermanr: research hardware dv-mixers (ca. 4000e), and send producer+model
details to stockholm, maybe we get them sponsored :)
- dedicated uplink bandwith for video: 300kbps minimum
- gigabit-ethernet -> 2 gigabit-switches (between raid, processing servers &
editing machines (in 2 rooms, so each rooms needs a gb-switch)
- maybe mixing-server with dual-firewire(-card)
- lots of tapes: 50 (!)

h01ger, enter all this in taskjuggler!

4. Managing volunteers / schedules - "herding cats"
- henning
- hermanr
- h01ger
- toresbe
- Ben Hutchings
- p2-mate [confirmed]
- pixie ? -> ask
- John Lightsey ? -> ask
- Martin Langhoff ? -> ask
- Chris Halls ? -> ask
- Cinelerra tutorial day during debcamp ???!
- Even if you won't (want) to be able to help during debconf, we could use
more volunteers _now_ for _RESEARCH & DESIGN_

regards,