Re: debconf5 - videos of the talks and BOFs available

Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> On Wednesday 03 August 2005 22:35, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > Yet another version of the DVD build files is at
> > <http://womble.decadentplace.org.uk/software/debconf5-dvd-0.4.tar.bz2>.
> > This includes a fix for the videos that caused dvdauthor to crash, which
> > appear to be badly timed.  I've successfully done a complete clean build
> > of PAL single-layer DVDs from this release.  However, with all videos
> > included the result is now too large to fit on a single dual-layer DVD.
>
> Great! I'm watching your work with excitement and pleasure :)
>
> Certain other things keep me from trying your build scripts, so I have to ask,
> are the slides included yet ? http://wiki.debian.net/?DebConf5Talks lists
> some (outsch, mine are still missing...)

No, they're not.  If there's still space to spare when all the videos
are included, I might try doing that.  Note however that these are real
video DVDs; slides would thus be quite separate from the video content.

> What ideas do you have to cope with the size limitations ? Two dvds ?
> Recoding ?

I don't have a dual-layer burner so I've been burning a pair of
single-layer DVDs.  These have about 800 megabytes more space altogether
than a dual-layer DVD, so I'm not *that* concerned about breaching the
dual-layer limit.  If you have the (processor) time you could try
reducing the bit rates a bit further and seeing whether the results are
still acceptable.  Using two-pass encoding might help, but I haven't
tried enabling that yet as it takes about 8 hours to recode already.

--
Ben Hutchings
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.