Re: ffmpeg command line for compressing DV to MPEG1

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:41:13 +0200, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 10:57, Martin Langhoff wrote:
OOps! Just discovered taht the videos taken with Kalle's super camera
are in PAL, so created a corresponding compress_pal.sh and I'm
runnning the Nokubi video through that, and the other two through
compress_ntsc.sh

All good and under control -- but hte video recompression had to be
restarted.

copied to /usr/local/bin on videorain

 For NTSC captures _please_ change the -s option!  It assumes PAL.
Use -s 320x240 instead of 384x288.

 I repeat:

PAL:  384x288
NTSC: 320x240

 The reason this is so important is that most of the cameras
output interlaced video, and I don't use a deinterlacer.
I just halve the number of lines exactly.  If the downscaling
does _not_ exactly halve or 1/4 the number of lines, there
will be ugly interlacing artifacts!

 Why not deinterlace?  It's faster and less lossy if you can
avoid it.

--
Herman Robak