Re: Disk space is limited, damage control follows...

On 7/11/05, Herman Robak <herman@skolelinux.no> wrote:
> There are compression options that will make it possible to keep
> our recordings longer, will a very moderate (as in almost invisible)
> quality loss.

It's a feasible solution, but it is meaningful only of there's a plan
to edit the videos carefully later, at some point. I am not 100%
convinced that it'll be possible.

So my vote is to:

 A - Encode/compress to web the videos *as they are right now* and put
them online.

 B - If there's time _after_ A is done and before the next recording
day, yes, run another batch of compression, to a high res format for
archival.

 C - Delete the large ones at the end of each day ;)

The very last thing I want is to end up with a bunch of videos on a
hard drive. Wide reach through the internet is our goal, not high
quality videos. We are succeeding at great captures, and failing to
distribute them.

Let's use this as an opportunity to push through and distribute them.

cheers,

martin