Re: Video Capture and Streaming Battle Plan (was:Fluendo, DV capture & other bits and pieces)

Hi Holger!

> IMO we want sarge and build our own backported packages (or use other peoples
> work.)

Cool.

> Distributing the packages (with configs) will be easy, see
> http://layer-acht.org/fai/softupdates - which is very brief if you are not
> familar with FAI ;-)

I'm familiar with FAI but I am not sure we'll want to use FAI for
this. We'll be hand-tuning 3 boxes -- FAI is way overkill and too much
work.

> > We will have a storage server with more than
> > 1.6TB of space
>
> IIRC we've "only" asked for 0.5TB (and got the answer "plenty of storage is no
> problem"), but I allready asked stockholm to get the real number we'll have.

I'd swear I typed 1.6TB in irc today, and stockholm or mooch said it'd
be ok. Good to get confirmation.

> > Even with Gb ethernet, we don't have enough bandwidth for 3
> > full DV streams
>
> really ? or more importantly, 100mbit is not sufficent for one (full
> DV )stream ?

I've revised my numbers -- Gigabit should be ok <shame>

martin