Re: Video Capture and Streaming Battle Plan (was:Fluendo, DV capture & other bits and pieces)

Hi Martin,

thanks for you mail - I haven't read everything cause I need to work at the
moment...

just 2 quick comments, will re-read your mail later...

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 10:27, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> We need to get the encoding machines (I'll code them encbox[en])
> working, we'll want Sarge or Sid and

IMO we want sarge and build our own backported packages (or use other peoples
work.)

We absolutly dont want to deal with a everchanging distribution (unstable). I
know, we dont _have_ to upgrade (and there is snapshot.d.n) but I still think
it's less hazzle to use sarge and backport software as needed.

Also we might be able to reuse this setup for debconf6 ;)

Distributing the packages (with configs) will be easy, see
http://layer-acht.org/fai/softupdates - which is very brief if you are not
familar with FAI ;-)

> We will have a storage server with more than
> 1.6TB of space

IIRC we've "only" asked for 0.5TB (and got the answer "plenty of storage is no
problem"), but I allready asked stockholm to get the real number we'll have.

> Even with Gb ethernet, we don't have enough bandwidth for 3
> full DV streams

really ? or more importantly, 100mbit is not sufficent for one (full
DV )stream ?

regards,