+1 (Re: The future of DebConf, online lessons from the pandemic [Was: Re: DebConf21 online, DebConf22 in Kosovo, DebConf23 in India, DebConf24 in Israel])

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 09:20:26PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> To me, the hard-to-replicate parts of a debconf are about creating
> shared experiences rather than the talks themselves.  It's meeting new
> and old friends, sharing a meal and discussing life, the universe and
> everything.  It's learning a little bit about the local area and the
> culture, typically mostly during the daytrip and the evenings.  It's not
> the pure information transfer during talks.
>
> For me, it is also just setting aside the time (as you mention).  When
> at debconf, the rest of the world is confined to the small screen, and
> its ability to require my attention is smaller. When at home, it's the
> opposite, and it's easy for something to come up that one needs to do.
> I don't really think this is fixable.

^^^ *all of this*!

Thanks, Tollef.

--
cheers,
	Holger

 ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
 ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  holger@(debian|reproducible-builds|layer-acht).org
 ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀  OpenPGP: B8BF54137B09D35CF026FE9D 091AB856069AAA1C
 ⠈⠳⣄

Any business accepting Bitcoin is participating in the human race’s suicide.