Re: DebConf21 online, DebConf22 in Kosovo, DebConf23 in India, DebConf24 in Israel

Hi Andreas

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 8:52 AM Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 12:12:54PM +0200, Daniel Lange wrote:
> >
> > We discussed with the teams on how to sequence the next in-person DebConfs and decided that:
> >
> > DebConf22 will be in Prishtina, Kosovo
> > DebConf23 will be in Kochi, India
> > DebConf24 will be in Haifa, Israel
>
> I admit my gut feeling is not very good about this long term fixing.
> Its announced now and its possibly my fault that I did not joined the
> discussion, but fixing locations 3 years in advance seems not very good
> to me.  Its diverging from our usual election process.  Conditions might
> change and competing offers are ignored for a very long time.
>
> Just mentioning my gut feeling without any criticism at the choice
> itself but I'm betting we'll get lots of discussion about this (by
> ignoring the unacceptable comment about Kosovo on debian-discuss).

I agree and it is a tough one. From my position on the DebConf
Committee, but as my personal opinion, I support this for at least a
few reasons:

1. Some teams need longer to prepare, and announcing in advance gives
them motivation (internally and often officially to take to
bureaucracy) to do their best. This is especially valid for out-of-the
mainstream countries (As a South African I feel this!)
2. From the original announcement the move away from the European
summer for India made it tricky about how/when to announce it -
https://lists.debian.org/debconf-announce/2020/02/msg00000.html - at
that time it was only one extra year announced but covid has now made
it more absurd. And we chose to keep all of the bids in the
communications exactly to manage the unacceptable comments. DLange is
probably better equipped to explain that.

Of course conditions changing can change the outcomes - as we have
seen with covid.

But I also agree it can get frustrating, I myself would love to bid
for a DebConf in Sweden and I may have retired by the time I get the
chance ;) But I believe that this was unusual because of the monsoon
season, and then it became more weird with covid, and that at some
point it would balance out again - as a member of the DCC I am
committed to help achieve this, and your input is of course a big part
of that.

> Kind regards
>
>       Andreas.
>
> --