Re: [DebConf19] Budget Approval Request [2018-08]

Trimming Cc's.

* Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana <phls@softwarelivre.org> [2018-08-21 15:24:37 -0300]:

> > I see 111 accepted accommodation bursaries, at DebConf18. Of those, 105
> > actually came to the conference.
>
> Do you have some suggestion about the number?
>
> We really believe if we open registration earlier and we publicity the
> accepted bursaries much earlier than what was done to DC18, we will have more
> than 105 attendees to use the accommodation.  But sure, we need help from
> bursarie and registration teams with this, and we have the promise made in
> Taiwan that registration and bursary will be earlier.

Speaking for the bursaries team:

I don't expect nor would like our acceptance threshold for *travel* bursaries
to be significantly higher than what we did this year.

The accommodation bursaries have been pretty much attributed on an "anything
goes" basis (which may or may not change next year, depending on budget and
other things). With that in mind, I don't expect the number of requests to be
significantly higher next year than they were this year.

From looking at data over the past few years, the publication date of bursary
acceptances will not significantly impact those numbers. I would even expect
that requesting that people sign up earlier will generate *less* requests,
because of people who cannot plan this far ahead, or people who will have
missed the deadline because it was so much earlier than usual (some members of
the core organization team managed to slip the deadline this year, after all).

268 hotel spots is 100 more than the number of accommodation bursary *requests*
that were made last year. It is 160 spots more than the accommodation bursary
*grants*.

In my opinion, in the current state of things, the only way this number may be
reasonable is if the booking accounts for people who would like to pay for
their own rooms. In that case I hope we can find another solution than having
Debian/DebConf/SPI pay for the rooms, but rather let attendees book their room
on their own and arrange payment.

You'll want to figure this out before binding DebConf into renting that many
rooms.

[snipped technicalities about hotel bookings, we've done this before]

Cheers,
--
Nicolas Dandrimont

BOFH excuse #77: