Re: [DebConf18] About Personal Data Sent to Government Agencies and University for Funding

Yao Wei <mwei@lxde.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was publishing the announcement too haste. Should we do one of the
> followings:
>
> * not sending any personal data to the list
> * have an opt-in list instead of opt-out

I'd have thought that most of the people that are OK with the data being
handed over will also actually respond to say so (but maybe I'm over
optimistic).

To make sure that really happens, I'd have thought that one just needs
to explain that each "Yes" you get is likely to be worth however many
tens of thousands of TWD to Debconf, so people should not say "No"
simply out of habit.  Making it clear that it's only initials, or
whatever, also seems likely to help.

Obviously this change of strategy would need to be announced before the
previously mentioned deadline expires.

One could perhaps do neither opt-in nor opt-out, but instead say that
you actually want an answer one way or the other ... and will try asking
again, possibly via other channels, in order to get that answer simply
because getting the answer to that question is quite important to Debconf
finances.

BTW I'm happy to help chasing people on that if it helps, although I'll
be flying home to Germany on the 15th so it might be that my
availability is not great at the time that you need the most effort.

Cheers, Phil.