Re: [DebConf18] About Personal Data Sent to Government Agencies and University for Funding

]] ChangZhuo Chen "(陳昌倬)"

(trimmed Cc)

> On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 12:27:39PM +0800, Yao Wei wrote:
> > We are requested by National Chiao Tung University (NCTU) and National
> > Centre of High-performance Computing (NCHC) for the list of attendees
> > along with their nationality for applying fundings.  NCTU also applies
> > government funds MEET TAIWAN [1] which they requires such information
> > for checking if our event matches their qualification for funding
> > (they requires more than certain number of foreign people attending
> > the event as one of the requirements).
>
> Is this requirement the same as eCode for VISA [0], which is:
>
> * Come from 3+ nations/regions
> * >100 attendees
> * >50 foreigner/China, or >30% foreigner/China.
>
> In this case, I think group photo can easily prove that we meet the
> requirement. Since NCTU & NCHC also need to comply with Personal
> Information Protection Act [1] when receiving such data, maybe group
> photo is also better for them.

FWIW, in the context of the GDPR, the group photo is not necessarily
much (if at all) better.  One can argue that it's opt-in, but on the
other hand, it's just as much personal information as a list of names.

Like Matthew and Noodles, I agree it would have been preferable if we
could have given this information to attendees up front, but as that's a
bit late, let's work with the cards we have been dealt.

Cheers,
--
Tollef Fog Heen