Re: Photo policy for DebConf

On Fri, Aug 03, 2018 at 08:40:59AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> Ulrike Uhlig wrote:
>
> > it has been pointed out to me that there *is* a photo policy for
> > DebConf within the code of conduct.
>
> Not having video pans of the audience since it doesn't necessarily add
> much value to the streams

This is not correct. The audience is as much a part of the talk as the
speaker is; otherwise we can just post videos of speakers speaking in an
empty room.

Specifically to this, some talks are just long stretches of speakers
speaking with few or no slides. Just recording the speaker in such
instances will often make the recording boring; having audience pans in
such cases keeps the recording after the fact interesting, and will
massively improve the usefulness of the video.

> and having no-video audience areas (with microphone) would also be
> appreciated, I've had people ask me to ask questions on their behalf
> because of current practices.

As a member of the video team, I would strongly object to such a policy.
There is nothing more annoying than hearing a question on a video but
not seeing the speaker.

If you prefer not to be recorded on a talk video, you are welcome to not
participate. I think it is totally fair that if you're in a talk which
will be recorded, you may end up on the recording -- especially if you
actively participate in the session.

If the lanyard suggestion is implemented, I suppose it would be
reasonable to request that the audience camera does not take close-ups
of people who wear a "do not photograph" lanyard and who do not actively
participate in the session. But while I can respect the desire to not be
photographed, even though I do not share such a desire, there is value
in videos being complete -- and that makes it impossible to allow people
who do not want to be on the video to participate in certain ways.

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab