Re: Bits from the DPL (June 2018)

Hi Gunnar,

> >  * Had an illuminating conference call with Deb Nicholson from the
> >    Software Freedom Conservancy [12], Chris Neugebauer of North Bay
> >    Python [13] and Bdale Garbee (bdale) regarding what "a free software
> >    conference" now means in practice in 2018, particularly in terms of
> >    "hygeine factors" around speakers, content, event safety, sponsors,
> >    etc. and what conferences that projects would be happy associating
> >    themselves with.
[…]
> This looks like a point you could elaborate on WRT DebConf.
> doing a wrong reading of this paragraph?

My bad; I was being a bit vague in the "Bits..."

The context was that the SFC is thinking of handling various bits of
admin for conferences but wants to have some reasonably objective (!)
measure of filtering that to conferences that align with their
philosophical goals.

It's easy to reject the 10,000-person corporate affairs but all the
interesting cases are on the borderline and/or somewhat immature. We
were thus drafting various tests and vaguely objective "scoring" for
potential conferences that might apply for assistance which also
implicitly provides a way for organisers to see what areas they would
have to work on.

DebConf only really figures here in that it "obviously" passes all of
the tests with flying colours so nothing really to learn.

Helpful? :)

Best wishes,

--
      ,''`.