Re: Debian chopsticks and mugs for DebCon18

Hi,

Actually I also hope that we can keep some money for Debian Project, either for future DebConf, to keep our community working, or to let OCF.tw keep our budget for Debian Project's development in Taiwan.

Some of the government budgets (MEET TAIWAN for example) can't be easily spent, but I hope we can use it for fulfilling bursaries budget, despite it will make our bursaries processing complex.

Also, the production time for such swags is tense and I am almost unable to catch that up.

I hope we can find a middle ground here.

Best regards,
Yao Wei
On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 14:45 Daniel Lange <DLange@debian.org> wrote:
Hi Andrew,

Am 20.06.2018 um 07:04 schrieb Andrew Lee:
> After a  survey for Debian chopsticks and mugs for DebCon18:
> * chopsticks set with printable space on
>    - a bag
>    - a spoon
>    - pair of chopsticks
> If we order 400 sets, each set costs TWD$114 with printing included.
> So it's TWD$45600 in total. ~1520USD.
>
> * A mug that made by bamboo with sculpture
> The original price is TWD$450, sculpture costs extra.
> If we order 400 at once. Each mug became TWD$260 with sculpture included.
> So it's TWD$104000 in total. ~3466USD
>
> Should we make these ideas came true? If, yes.

I *personally* think we have enough swag with the T-Shirts, bags and
towels. If you produce everything for everybody most of the items may
end up being unused or even thrown away. E.g. I have more mugs than I
could ever use in my remaining life and I will not carry more home.

You could ask people up front who'd want a cutlery set or a mug and
produce the quantity ordered. Round up the ordered amount for local
open-day selling opportunities. And add some as free give-aways for
local people from the venue that proved dedicated and helpful during the
conference. There are always some that go the extra mile and they often
appreciate a small token as a thank you. That way you know how to set
the price for the ordered swag items and it does not have any budget
impact for the DebConf.

This is my personal opinion so please feel free to disagree and do
differently than advised.

Best regards,
Daniel