Re: [Debconf-team] Canadian border problems

On Tue, May 02, 2017 at 09:58:43AM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> I couldn't believe it when I saw this[1] but it is appearing in the
> news,

It is one-sided information from someone asking for money,
repeated in the news.

> an Australian, no evidence of a criminal record or anything,
> unable to enter Canada due to an outbreak of bureaucracy.

All the "how hard we tried to follow the law" whining and "Stop one was
meant to be Canada!" story sounds less convincing when you consider that
after 6 months in the US they tried to cross the border 2 hours before
his stay in the US became illegal.

If I understand the story correctly, he was (ab)using a tourist visa for
living in the US.

What did he answer if he was asked standard questions like
"Country of Residence" or "Occupation"?

If he claimed to reside in the US even though his US visa doesn't
allow that, he admitted violating the terms of his US visa.

If he claimed to reside in Australia even though the stamps in his
passport said otherwise, he was caught lying by the Canadians who
questioned him.

- They "had set forth a plan that would bring us all over the western
  Hemisphere for the [5 year] duration of his Visa".
- He had no right to do any paid work during these 5 years.
- US$ 8k seems to be a huge amount of money for them.
If the story they told the Canadians sounded as fishy as the story
in the fundraiser, I am not surprised about the refused entry.

> I'm not suggesting anybody should give money to this cause, but it makes
> me wonder if Australians are having difficulties getting in, could some
> people from other parts of the world be facing trouble?

s/Australians/Australians who (ab)use a tourist visa for living in the US/

The basic travel requirements for a tourist visa to Canada [1] include:
  convince an immigration officer that you have ties — such as a job,
  home, financial assets or family — that will take you back to your
  home country

That's the kind of basic requirements your Australian guy would not
be able to fulfill, but that shouldn't be a problem for the average
debconf participant.

> Regards,
>
> Daniel

cu