Re: [Debconf-team] DC17 budget approval request

On 2017-04-11 07:26, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for this updated budget!
>
> On 09/04/2017 20:44, Louis-Philippe Véronneau wrote:
>> We got some good news regarding sponsorship that should be announced
>> shortly.
>>
>> Meanwhile, madduck helped me to make the currency conversion work. Here
>> is an updated version of the ledger in USD. The only thing that changed
>> is the sponsors line.
>>

> Great! This simplifies reading and tracking of the budget.
>
>> Forex rates used:
>>   2017-04-09 19:16:23 USD 1,33988 CAD
>>   2017-04-09 19:16:23 EUR 1,41884 CAD
>>   2017-04-09 19:16:23 CHF 1,32854 CAD
>>
>> *Budgeted expenses*:
>>
>>           745.21 USD    advisory:annual-report
>>         1,490.41 USD    childcare:misc
>>         7,265.76 USD    confdinner
>>         1,304.11 USD      alcohol
>>         2,980.83 USD      meals
>
> Any of those two include non-alcoholic beverage?

Sure. I think the conference dinner is the only occasion where we will
be paying for alcohol (only one drink on the house), but we will be
providing other drinks (Kombucha, soft-drinks, juice, etc.) for people
who do not drink alcohol.

We will have all the latitude to do this since we are providing the
drinks, not the caterer.

>>           745.21 USD      transport
>>         2,235.62 USD      venue
>>         5,961.65 USD    content
>>           745.21 USD    entertainment:band
>>           223.56 USD    fees:registration
>>           745.21 USD    fulfillment:banners
>>         1,602.19 USD    incidentals
>>           111.78 USD      bank
>>           745.21 USD      frontdesk
>>           372.60 USD      phone
>>           372.60 USD      transport
>>         1,490.41 USD    insurance:event
>>           372.60 USD    openweekend
>>        10,948.57 USD    outreach
>>        10,203.37 USD      diversity
>>           745.21 USD      press
>>        80,631.34 USD    roomboard
>>         9,389.60 USD      debcamp
>>           782.47 USD        breakfast
>>         2,980.83 USD        classrooms
>>         2,347.40 USD        dinner
>>         1,490.41 USD        hotel
>>         1,788.50 USD        lunch
>>        71,241.74 USD      debconf
>>         2,980.83 USD        breakfast
>>         6,706.86 USD        classrooms
>>        11,178.10 USD        dinner
>>        10,134.81 USD        hotel
>>        11,178.10 USD        lunch
>>        29,063.05 USD        mcgill
>>         4,471.24 USD    swag
>>         1,490.41 USD      bags
>>         1,490.41 USD      shipping
>>         1,490.41 USD      tshirts
>>        29,808.26 USD    travel
>
> Is it planned to invite press to DC17?

It is. There is a ~750 USD budget in the outreach:press account for
that. Last meeting we decided to invite LWN and Linux Magazine and offer
them to pay for food for one person for the whole conference.

I don't know for Linux Magazine, but anarcat has been doing a lot of
stuff for LWN lately and is based in Montreal. I'm sure he'll be happy
to write a few articles.

We have not talked about doing a press conference for local medias
though. A local newspaper already wrote to us asking for more details on
the conf and on ways to stay in touch. Maybe we could arrange something
during Open Day?

Even considering these expenses, we will still have some money left
budgeted in this account. If someone has ideas on neat things we could
do, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

>>        27,200.04 USD    venue
>>         2,149.92 USD    video:shipping
>
> Are you planning to purchase new video hardware? I guess a specific request
> will be made for that independently of DebConf17 expenses?

Yeah, if we ever ever get to coordinate enough for this project to go
through, we'll ask for money independently of DebConf17 expenses.

>>           287.25 USD  expenses
>>           157.25 USD    fees
>>            31.31 USD      misc
>>           125.94 USD      registration
>>           130.00 USD    swag
>> --------------------
>>       175,851.58 USD
>>
>> *Budgeted income*:
>>
>>         1,490.41 USD    confdinner:meals
>>        13,413.72 USD    roomboard:debconf
>>         1,490.41 USD      breakfast
>>           745.21 USD      classrooms
>>         5,589.05 USD      dinner
>>         5,589.05 USD      lunch
>>       150,871.44 USD    sponsors
>
> How much of this is committed as of today?

I merged the sponsors:committed & sponsors:expected accounts since
madduck told me it was a weird thing to do.

At the moment, 100% of the sponsors income listed (150,871.44 USD) is
committed income. We had a breakthrough recently and gained two new
platinum sponsors. That helped a great deal.