Re: [Debconf-team] DC17 bids: Montreal venues

Hello Debconf-team,

On 17/01/16 04:03 PM, moray@sermisy.org wrote:
> For the Montreal DC17 bid:
>
> For Collège de Maisonneuve, how long does it take to walk from there to
> an area with more bars/restaurants etc.?  How is the journey by public
> transport?

From Collège de Maisonneuve to Berri-UQAM (downtown, many restaurants)
is about 20 minutes in public transport. The closest metro stations,
Joliette and Pie-IX, are within 10 minutes of walking distance. We're
also considering an agreement with the Montréal’s public bike system
(BIXI), which has many stations close to this venue:
https://montreal.bixi.com/

> What do you mean by saying that École de Technologie Supérieure is "Too
> downtown-ish"?

My personal opinion on this is that it is not a downside, but an upside.
Everything is closer: transport, restaurants, hotels, etc. However,
we're aware that many attendees may prefer a more quiet / "distraction
free" environment, according to past discussion on this subject and to
the recent venue choices. That said, the word "downside" may be an
exaggeration here.

Cheers,

--
Alexandre Viau