Re: [Debconf-team] Fixing the Debconf Delagation

Joerg Jaspert dijo [Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 09:23:48AM +0200]:
> On 14073 March 1977, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>
> > With the current models, ideally, the Chairs would:
> [...]
> > - not be too involved in the organization of the current DebConf(s),
> > so that there's no conflict between opinions expressed a mere organizer,
> > and opinions expressed as a chair
> [...]
>
> This definition point alone would directly take out Cate as a chair,
> possibly Tassia and leave only Tincho, from what I saw from their
> involvement in actual DebConf organization. Not sure that thats the best
> thing.
>
> Depending on how one defines "too involved in the organization", but
> having chairs for the DebConf that are mostly just bystanders doesn't
> sound like the best idea for me.

Yes, I also understood this to be precisely the opposite. During my
time as a Chair, my *main* Debian task was to be as close as possible
to DebConf organization, to be able to answer (or to point to right
answers) to questions about DebConf, be they originated in outsiders,
in Debian people, or in the orga-team(s?) themselves. We always tried
to have at least two chairs attend every meeting (true, we sometimes
failed to, but at least we tried hard to), usually chairing the
meetings.

So, yes, as an ex-Chair, this is the only point in Lucas' mail that
made a big dissonance with me.

> Keeping conflict of interest away you do by having chairs come from all
> parts of the orga, have multiple and then have them NOT expressing
> opinions as chair on matters that touch their own area of activity
> inside orga.

It's very hard to manage conflicts of interest in this kind of
projects. I would not say we have ever had a very strong line on this
point, but rather we trust each other to do things on good faith.

Of course, we have all abstained to act on some issues (i.e. I think
I've never been part of a Bursaries team when I was requesting
sponsorship), but it's mostly based on trust.