Re: [Debconf-team] Teckids youth programme at DebConf15 - LAST DEADLINE

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 8:02 PM, Martín Ferrari <tincho@tincho.org> wrote:
On 28/05/15 20:46, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Dominik George <dominik.george@teckids.org> [2015-05-28 21:24 +0200]:
>> as a matter of sad fact, we have not received any helpful reply to
>> our last mails in which we set and postponed deadlines multiple
>> times.
>
> Guys, this is quite awkward.
>
> Which team does this belong to? Who is in charge? Are we going to
> make the deadline (TOMORROW!) or will we issue an apology?

It's possible to make a reply tomorrow/today.  Who can "sign", as Dominik put it, an agreement?  Re-read the discussions and what they're asking, besides simple things like LAN with DHCP and Internet, is:

- Travel and lodging costs (mostly!) reimbursed/covered
- 2-4 beds for adults
- 2-4 beds for kids in a room or two that are /not/ shared with any adults
- 1-2 rooms to run their workshop in from 16-18 August

Is that worth having their program?  I think so.  It no longer looks like I will be able to bring my 11 year old, but if he does come, I'd love the workshop to be there.  I'd love it to be there, anyway.

It is in PA's realm, but I am not sure if this was actually ever handled
by them.. And in fact, I don't think I have seen other mails by Mr.
George before about these missed and extended deadlines. Martin, were
you the PoC with him, or who was doing that?

Discussion was mostly taking place on the debconf-kids@ list.  What would really help from PA is to know what registered attendance is at ages 8-16, or so, as that is what Teckids targets.  Who has an estimate?  We don't even need to poll them for how many think they'd go.

Nattie, could you direct whoever is on top of the kids matters onto this
issue, to see what's the status and give an answer?

I'm happy to give an answer and set up and have a meeting.  I am not sure I'm qualified to "agree to terms" on Debconf's behalf.

In any case, it is my understanding that parent's response to childcare
has not been very enthusiastic, so I don't know if this is feasible at
all..

There has indeed been an underwhelming response to professional childcare for young children.  I believe there is likely less attention from the [likely fewer] parents of adolescents as they tend to be able to entertain themselves better.  I think many would avail themselves of such a program, anyway, and Dominik made it clear that any workshop being offered should be open to non-conference attendees if space is available beyond those attendees.  I find this agreeable, i presume they would advertise their presence in some way on their own.

As far as i can tell, the main question is: Are there enough expected 8-16 year old attendees to justify sponsoring 2-4 adults and 2-4 teenage tutors to travel from within Germany to put on the workshop?

Sean

P.S. I won't be back online until ~1630 UTC 2015-05-29.  As in, around the end of "business hours" DE time on the date of deadline