Re: [Debconf-team] Job fair timing and sponsorship criteria

martin f krafft dijo [Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 12:19:00PM +0200]:
> also sprach Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy@debian.org> [2015-04-29 10:19 +0200]:
> > The job fair is currently scheduled for the main DebConf arrival day.
>
> Actually, we would like Saturday to be the first day of DebConf and
> the main arrival day be Friday, but we probably failed to make this
> clear.

I know I'm late to this, but having the arrival day on Friday is
usually problematic from people travelling from far away: It requires
taking basically an extra half week from work (Thursday+Friday) to
arrive on time (and the equivalent on teardown+flyback day). IIRC, we
have usually (read usually as in: "where I've been more closely
involved in scheduling") had Saturday as arrival day, and then start
activities on Sunday. Likewise for departure, finish activities on
Saturday and cover sponsored accomodation until Sunday, having most
people depart on Sunday.

> The big question is: can we somehow tweak things in the
> communication and still convince people that *all* should arrive on
> Friday already?

Well, DebConf is announced as starting on Saturday 15th and finishing
on Saturday 22th, so... it *could* be understood that the first
activities will be held Saturday morning. Dunno... I'd start gentle
and have the first activities on Saturday afternoon, in consideration
for people who cannot travel on Friday (i.e. within Europe) or have to
do a long distance flight (i.e. rest of the world)

> This could be done *in addition* of moving the job fair to Sunday,
> if those responsible for the job fair and scheduling deem it
> appropriate.

It would be sensible, I'm for moving it. And yes, as it has been
pointed out, one extra day does not completely dillute jetlag... But
the effect on those who suffer it is much less shattering.